In Ian White’s absence, I recently attended the latest BowlsWA President’s Forum where a range of matters were discussed.
Thursday Men’s Pennants: –
The most notable item on the agenda is a proposed change to the format of Thursday Pennants to a ‘Sets Play’ event. The reasons for the proposed change include difficulties of post-game travel, complaints about late finishes, and a lack of variety.
- The proposed new Thursday Men’s Pennants will consist of the following: Two x 9 end sets with a 3 end tiebreak (decided on ends not shots).No dead ends – jack re-spotted on the T.
- No formal roll-up, but an open roll-up from 12.30pm.
- Formal game to start at 1.00pm at the latest.
- Players remain in the same order for both games and any tiebreaker.
- Points allocated being 1 point per set won, 2 points for game won. Max points on offer 12 per match.
Wet Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT): –
It appears that this system will be implemented by BowlsWA for metropolitan clubs only. It involves a portable meter that will be in the possession of the umpire of the day, and will measure heat stress i.e. temperature + humidity + direct sunlight. A meter will have to be purchased by each club at an estimated cost of about $200.00.
Bowls Link: –
Bowls Australia, in partnership with the State and Territory Associations, has developed a new tailor-made IT system for all levels of the sport. It will replace the Bowls Connect system. BowlsWA will be running some training sessions for club administrators, secretaries and match day managers, as all results will need to be submitted via this new system.
Training Sessions: –
Monday 8 July – Doubleview BC: 1.00pm to 4.00pm or 5.30pm to 8.30pm. Tuesday 9 July – Cockburn BC: 1.00pm to 4.00pm or 5.30pm to 8.30pm. Contact Kaitlin Tyrrell at BowlsWA to book a session.
2019 – 2020 Saturday Pennant Season: –
Commences on 26 October 2019 to 14 December 2019. Christmas / New Year Break: 14 December to 10 January 2020 (28 days). 11 January to 28 March 2020 – excluding 25 Jan and 29 February 2020. Finals to follow.
Thursday Pennants: –
Commences on 31 October 2019 to 12 December 2019. Christmas / New Year Break: 13 December to 10 January 2020. 9 January to 19 March 2020. Finals to follow.
Martin Downey, Bowls Captain